1350

to

1399


Tower dates to this period

1677


Great Fire

1678


Church Rebuilt

1680

a

Nave consisted of 2 aisles

1680

b

Ring of 5 bells cast

1685


Peal rung on the Crownacon Day of James II

1728


The sum of £9 9s 8d was paid for the sun-dial still in its original position on the south side of the church.

1733


The brass Candelabrum over the main aisle (still in place today) gifted

1768


Replacement peal cast by Thomas Rudhall of Gloucester

1809


Almost in ruins, the church was demolished and the present building erected on the old foundations.

1810


29th May - Small Chancel consecrated

1839

to

1841


Side Galleries added

1886

a

Described (in the Shrewsbury Chronicle) as “the ugliest and worst ventilated building in the Diocese”

1886

b

4th April - Last service before start of restoration.

1886

c

June edition of the Parish Magazine reports the whole of the interior was visible from the street.

1886

d

14th June (Whit Monday) - Chancel Foundation Stone laid.

1886

e

17th November - Consecration of the new Chancel took place.

1887

f

Corona Lucis (Crown of Light) transferred from the Cemetery Chapel in Aston Street and hung in the Chancel.

1887


Bells re-hung making provision for additional 2 bells

1888

a

Pulpit presented to the Church.  

1888

b

Iron gates surmounted by lamps were erected at all churchyard entrances

1897

a

Two treble bells cast and hung by Mears & Stainbank of London to Commemorate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee.

1897

b

Stone paved floor replaced by wooden setts

1898


7th May - Celebration peal of Grandsire Triples of 5400 changes rung.

1911


After being built over the Open Market Hall, the church hall was secured for the church in perpetuity.

1916


Peal of Stedman’s Triples (5040 changes) rung for the 1st time in Wem

1920


Repeat of the 1916 Stedman’s Peal rung

1921


War memorial erected

1928


Portions of the tower stones renewed

1934

a

Handrail added to Pulpit

1934

b

A heavy double-sided brass lectern, originally placed beside the pulpit was moved, with its polished marble plinth, to the south side of the chancel.

1959


External lighting was fitted for the church clock

1963


Originally located in the south west corner,   the font was moved to a paved foundation at the rear of the church.

1964

to

1967


Bells turned, re-tuned and re-hung on a steel frame.

1967


Extensive tower restoration

1970


14th May - Peal of Grandsire Triples of 5400 changes rung.

1975


Corona Lucis (Crown of Light) moved from the Chancel to the rear of the church.

1976

a

Redecoration of the entire Sanctuary

1976

b

A modern oak lectern, given in memory of Eva Townsend, is now used where required in different areas of the church

1993

a

October / November - The Mill Street Gates were replaced

1993

b

November / December - 3 rows of Pews removed

1999


In April, the Font was moved to the north east corner of the church

2011


11th December - Town Window dedicated

2013


November - New Gargoyle sponsored by Rev Phillip and Janet Collis-Smith installed on Tower

2014

a

22nd January - Tenor Bell replaced

2014

b

31st May - First quarter peal using the new Tenor Bell rung.




2016

a

1st January - Wem, Lee Brockhurst and Weston-under-Redcastle join to form a Benifice

2016

b

9th March -  Rev'd Nick Heron was inducted as Rector of the new benefice of Wem, Lee Brockhurst and Weston under Redcastle .

2016

c

March - Organ Refurbishment completed
















Notes:



1

This page will remain as "Work in Progress" but is shown for information purposes.




2

Topics we hope to include are:


a

Lady Chapel


b

Windows


c

Tablets and Memorials


d

Church Plate







3

If anyone has any further information please contact the Webmaster.




Church Time Line

16.12.02

Previous Page Top of Page

v7.