History of the St Peter
In 1552 there were 2 great bells and a Sanctus Bell. In 1677, during the Great Fire of Wem, the bells were destroyed and 5 bells were recast and hung during 1679 to 1680. The bells were recast in 1768 by Thomas Rudhall of Gloucester, a 6th bell was added in 1771, and in 1897, 2 more, cast by Mears and Stainbank of London were added to bring the total to 8. The last 2 bells were to commemorate the 60th Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
In the late 1980’s, a crack, in the tenor bell, was repaired and the bell re-
and St Paul Bells
Click on the pictures for a larger view